Browse by Categories
  Home
  Towns / Villages
  Accommodation
  Arts / Crafts
  Attractions
  Business Directory
  Classifieds
  Education
  Employment
  Entertainment
  Festivals
  Genealogy
  Heritage
  Industry
  Leisure Activities
  Links
  Maps
  News
  Photo Gallery
  Political
  Property
  Restaurants
  Shopping
  Sporting
  Tourism
  Travel
  Weather
  What’s on
Lawrencetown Ballinasloe County Galway Ireland
Home Advertise Contact Us

Accommodation  ~ Hotels  ~ B&B  ~ Self Catering  ~ Hostels  ~ Restaurants 
Property  ~  Business Listings  ~  Attractions  ~  Activities  ~  Maps
 
 
Lawrencetown   ~   Ballinasloe
 
 
Lawrencetown, in the parish of Clonfert, is known in Irish as An Baile Mór Síol Anmchadha. In the 1830s this was a prosperous village with its own penny post to Eyrecourt.
 
It was a chief constabulary station where petty sessions were held each Thursday and a considerable quantity of wooden ware and furniture was manufactured here.
Lawrencetown County Galway Ireland
   
Fairs were held on 8 May, 22 August and 15 December, for cattle, sheep and pigs. The Catholic Church was "a good modern building" and the Wesleyan Methodists supported both a church and school in the village.

The village of Lawrencetown was first erected by Walter Lawrence about 1700. It was enlarged by Rear Admiral Peter Lawrence in 1750 and rebuilt by Col. Walter Lawrence in 1765, to promote the linen industry in the west of Ireland. Lewis in his Topographical Dictionary (1837) describes it as a village in the parish of Clonfert, six miles from Ballinasloe on the road to Eyrecourt, to which places it has a penny post. He continues, "It has a chief constabulary police station and petty sessions are held weekly on Thursday. A considerable quantity of wooden ware and furniture are manufactured here and fairs are held on May 8th, Aug. 22nd, and Dec, 15th, for cattle sheep and pigs. The Roman Catholic Chapel for this part of the district is a good modern building and the Wesleyan Methodists also have a chapel here and support a school. The seats in the vicinity are Bellevue, or Lisreaghan, the residence of Walter Lawrence Esq., Gortnamona, the elegant seat of P.Blake Esq., Somerset House, of Simeon Seymour Esq. Somerset Glebe, of the Rev. J. Hannigan and Ballymore Castle, of Thomas Seymour Esq. Near the town are the ruins of the castle of O'Hill from which it formerly took the name Oghilmore". It also had a market house, octagonal in shape, supported by arches, through which carts of produce could pass to be weighed. 
 

 

 
Towns & Localities in County Galway

 Aran Islands | Athenry | Ballinasloe | Ballygar | Barna | Carna | Carraroe | Claregalway | Clarinbridge | Clifden | Clonbur | Corofin
Connemara | Corrandulla | Dunmore | Galway City | Glenamaddy | Gort | Headford | Kinvara | Leenane | Loughrea | Milltown | Monivea
 Mountbellew | Moycullen | Oranmore | Oughterard | Portumna | Renvyle | Salthill | Spiddal | Tuam | Turloughmore | Williamstown
 

home | towns | accommodation | B&B | hotels | self catering | arts | attractions | business | education | wap
employment | entertainment | festivals | genealogy | heritage | industry | leisure | links | maps | news | gallery
 political | property | restaurants | shopping | sporting | tourism | travel | weather | what's on | advertise | contact

Website designed by Western-Webs, Tuam County Galway Ireland 

©2007 County Galway Guide, all rights reserved